ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP (see Italian version for more detailed information)
If you think you may be eligible for Italian citizenship, book an appointment at the Consulate to ascertain what documentation will be required as documentation varies from case to case.
You can only book an appointment for citizenship by sending an email to email@example.com (no appointments by phone or by our online booking system)
One can be an Italian citizen by descent (at birth) or by grant.
Italian citizenship is passed on by descent if at the time of a child’s birth at least one of the parents is an Italian citizen.
The fundamental principles upon which the Italian citizenship is passed on by descent are:
- when at the date of the child’s birth, both the parents have not acquired the citizenship of another country or if, as a consequence of the acquisition of that other citizenship, they (the parents) have not lost their Italian citizenship;
- when the child was born in Italy to Italian citizen parents and had not acquired the citizenship of another country prior to August 16, 1992.
Prior to January 1, 1948, the Italian citizenship could be passed on only by fathers. Therefore, if you were born prior to 01/01/1948, at the time of your birth, to be an Italian citizen by descent, your father must have been an Italian citizen (i.e. not naturalised).
BY GRANT (from spouses)
One of the circumstances upon which you may be eligible to apply for the grant of Italian citizenship is if you are currently married to an Italian citizen.
Generally, the spouse of an Italian citizen can apply for the grant of Italian citizenship after a minimum period of:
- 3 years from the date of marriage, if residing outside Italy;
- 2 years from the date of marriage, if residing in Italy.
The "Italian Citizenship Act" foresees other circumstances upon which one might acquire Italian citizenship. For more information, see: legge 5 dicembre 1992, n. 91.
Should any of the above circumstances apply to you or you think you may be eligible to apply for the grant of Italian citizenship, it is suggested that you contact the Consulate and enquire about your personal circumstance.
For couple married before 27 April 1983, Italian citizenship is granted automatically.
DO YOU THINK YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP?
To prove your eligibility you will be asked to bring in the related documents;
these will be:
- certificate of evidence of resident status or naturalization certificate of your parents;
- original certificates: your birth certificate, marriage certificate, decree nisi (if divorced); - original certificates of your parents' birth and marriage and divorce order (if divorced);
- old Italian passports of your parents if applicable;
- your Australian passport.
Please, note that this list is indicative only as you may be required to present further documentation in order to prove your eligibility to the Italian citizenship.
After your eligibility has been ascertained, you will be informed how to formally lodge your citizenship application.
Please note: you CANNOT apply for an Italian passport until your citizenship application has been registered in Italy.
IMPORTANT! Applications with insufficient documentations will be not be accepted.
map | disclaimer | credits | F.A.Q.